LGBTQI+ Support Services in Haringey (and Nationwide)
LGBTQI+ is an umbrella term, meaning: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer or questioning.
All communities can experience mental health problems, but the LGBTQI+ community are more likely to experience certain problems to do with self-esteem and mental health. Being LGBTQI+ doesn’t cause these problems, but can be caused by stigma, discrimination and difficult experiences coming out.
Embracing your LGBTQI+ identity can also have a positive impact or your mental health and wellbeing, if you have the right support and feel accepted by your community.
We want to make sure that LGBTQI+ people in our Haringey community feel supported and accepted. We have put together a list of resources (both local and national), where you can access support for your mental health in an environment where you feel safe and respected.
Local Support in Haringey/North London
Mind in Haringey
The Haringey Wellbeing Network run a LGBTQI+ peer support group every Monday 10am-11am at Mind in Haringey: Station House, 73c Stapleton Hall Road, N4 3QF. email: [email protected] for more information.
Provides online meetups (during lockdown) via zoom for support and connecting with others. Also offers 1-2-1 advice, help and support and online yoga.
Call 020 888 99 555 or
email [email protected] for more information and to register.
- #gayWISE LGBTQI+ Online Drop Ins via Zoom: Monday 6pm-6:40pm, Thursdays 4pm-4:40pm
- 1-2-1 telephone support for isolating/shielding clients who cannot access online services.
- #youthWISE drop-in service for young LGBTQI+ people (11-19 years old)
Islington Mind (Outcome)
Client-led LGBTQI+ service ran by a LGBTQI+ team for 15 years. During COVID-19 services are delivered remotely including online social groups.
Call 020 7272 5038 (open Tue and Wed: 10am-4pm)
or email [email protected]
- Outcome Freedom Art Session drop-in for everyone: Tuesdays (11-12)
- Outcome Women-only drop-in: Tuesdays (2-4pm)
- Outcome drop-in for everyone: Tuesdays (2-4pm)
- Outcome Asylum Seeker and Refugee drop-In: Wednesdays (12 – 1pm)
- Outcome Asylum Seeker and Refugee Women-Only drop-in: Wednesdays (2–3pm)
A confidential LGBTQI+ helpline that helps offers listening, advice, understanding and signposting.
0300 330 0630 (open 10am to 10pm every day).
https://switchboard.lgbt/ – Online chat available on the website
Email: [email protected] (72 hours response time)
Online support for LGBT+ related mental health including self-help is available on this page:
Author: Mari Lavellehill
Posted on: 16th September 2020